It's all good.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Anne of Green Gables, never change. I LIKE YOU JUST THIS WAY.

So this Sunday, CTV is airing Kevin Sullivan's Anne prequel.

I am wary. Very wary.

You all know of my deep, all-consuming love for Anne of Green Gables - The Musical (TM). I think the books are fantastic. I also feel very favourably towards the tv productions of Anne 1 and Anne 2.

Well, actually, Anne 2 was a little messed up because Mr. Sullivan decided to combine three books into one miniseries and got a little creative with the details of his storytelling. But still, Anne and Gilbert ended up together at the end, and all was well.

And then there was Anne 3.

Anne 3. The Abomination. The tale of Anne Shirley - super spy. The war movie that happened to have Megan Follows in it. Oh yeah, and her character's name was Anne. It was so far removed from the novels that I was seriously disturbed. It didn't even fit with the continuity of Mr. Sullivan's Avonlea "universe". Ugh. I watched it once, and I never need to see it again.

So naturally, I am very reluctant to watch this Sunday's movie. I read the plot outline. Apparently Mr. Sullivan fancies himself the Anne expert, and has created a backstory for her. Oh, and get this - the movie also has an older Anne in it. She's a successful middle-aged playwright.

Excuse my language, but WTF?

Who does this man think he is? How can take a series of beloved novels and say, "Hey, those are great, but you know what? We're going to take this character in a different direction". I'm sure there would be a global uprising if some director/producer/writer decided that Harry Potter should forsake the wizard world and live as a Muggle. How is this any different?

I'm not sure if I'm even going to watch on Sunday. I don't think I can. I might end up smashing my tv.

I am most seriously displeased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home