It's all good.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Somebody stop me.

Every one in a while, I get an uncontrollable urge to purchase some sort of gadget. Last year, it was an iPod mini. Totally worth it. Lately, I am convinced that I need a PDA.

Here's my thing- I do a fair bit of traveling. For example, at the end of the month, I'm going to Toronto to a hearing aid conference. Then in April, I'll be doing extra clinics in Woodstock for work, and I've decided to spend a few nights in a hotel, so I don't get burned out with all the driving. I also may squeeze in a trip to Halifax in April. In June, I hope to go back to Halifax for another conference. And there is also a possible trip to Toronto/Minneapolis in the works (also work-related).

When I am away, I miss my internet. Desperately. I need to check my email. I need to keep up with the daily adventures of my friends. I need to see what's going on in the world.

Therefore, I have decided that I need some sort of portable gizmo that gives me internet access on the road. My ultimate goal is a laptop, but I'm only getting one when my home computer goes kaput. I thought about a smart phone, but I rarely use my cell phone, so paying extra money for a PDA/cell phone is not an option. Microsoft will be launching a tablet PC thingy soon, but it looks pricey and bulky, so I might wait until they refine it a bit.

This brings me to a PDA. From what I can gather, it will give me internet access via Wi-Fi. I've been looking around, and there are some reasonably priced PDA's with Wi-Fi capabilities. I'm currently considering the Palm T/X. It's very pretty.

So currently, I am grappling with the overwhelming impulse to buy a PDA Right Now. I must conquer this. My logical, level-headed side tells me that going without the internet is not the end of the world, cause everything will still be there whenever I return from my trips. My impulsive, gadget-loving side tells me that the Palm T/X will make my life complete. I don't which side will emerge the victor. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home