It's all good.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The great spinach experiment.

During my $30 excursion to the grocery store to buy stamps, I also bought a spaghetti squash. It's the vegetable I am in extreme like with. I don't love it (it's no turnip), but it's pretty darn good. I have been using it to make a spaghetti squash lasagna. Tonight, I was feeling particularly adventurous, and I decided to add some spinach to my creation.

I don't know much about spinach. It's green. It's supposedly good for you. I've had it in Italian wedding soup, and in spinach lasagna. I know of spinach salad, but have never tried it cause the other ingredients scare me off.

First I thawed some frozen spinach. This was my first experience with frozen spinach. To start out, it was, well, frozen. Then I zapped it in the microwave, and it was, well, green and mushy and smelly.


I started to have my doubts.

Generally, if I don't like the smell, I don't like the taste. I tried to salvage it by boiling it with some chicken broth, to get rid of the smell and the green flavour. Still kinda iffy. I put two spoonfuls of it in my lasagna mixture.



The result? Perfectly adequate spinach spaghetti squash lasagna.



Maybe next time I'll use three spoonfuls.

3 Comments:

At 8:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you do with the rest of the frozen block? Did you throw it out the window? I bet you threw it otu the window didn't you! did it make a squish sound or more of a splat? In my opnion spinish should only be used as a projectile...nothing else.

 
At 11:03 p.m., Blogger Lynda said...

I couldn't throw it out the window because my windows all have screens on them, so tossing spinach at them could get very messy. And it would be too much work to take the screens off just to throw something out the window. Plus, think of the mess on the ground below. So the spinach was thrown into the garbage.

 
At 6:58 p.m., Blogger Catherine said...

I don't know, Sweetie... should you really include "spinach" in the title of your dish? Two spoonfuls?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home