It's all good.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Ow.


So there I was, chopping a turnip for my supper, when all of a sudden I feel the blade of the knife slicing into my right index finger.

"Ouch," I said.

So, when the bleeding failed to stop after a few minutes, I looked up "Cuts- Bleeding" on the symptom checker at WebMD Health. It told me to apply pressure to the wound for 15 minutes. I did.

It was still bleeding.

I called my mom.

After consultation with my mom, and WebMDHealth, I applied pressure again for 15 minutes.

Still bleeding.

Another 15 minutes of applying pressure...

Still bleeding.

At this point, it was longest I have ever been bleeding in my life. Yes, I have led a relatively uneventful life with regard to bleeding injuries. I started to panic just a wee bit, as I did not want to go to the hospital. I don't like hospitals. Yes, I know I work at a hospital, but I just don't like being a patient. I avoid doctors if I can. No specific reason, really....

So, I called NB TeleHealth and spoke to a nurse. After asking me many questions (are you having trouble breathing? are you pregnant? is it still bleeding?), she told me to go to the ER.

I packed a bag with a few books, my iPod, and change for the pop machine, ready to hunker down for a 4 hour stay at my workplace. When I got to the ER, the nurse looked at my finger, and said, "I can glue that for you right now. How about that?"

So, about 20 minutes later, my cut has been glued together, my right index finger is bandaged and throbbing, and my left arm is aching from my tetanus shot. I feel like Gretl from the Sound of Music, who got her finger caught in Friedrich's teeth, except instead of Friedrich's teeth, I was injured with my own knife.

Thus marks my first visit to the ER in Fredericton, my first personal visit to any ER since I injured my ankle pretending my mom's exercise bike was a motorcycle (I believe I was four), and the birth of my blog.

3 Comments:

At 8:00 p.m., Blogger mel said...

that last paragraph is freaking fantastic for so many reasons.

 
At 9:15 p.m., Blogger Lynda said...

*clapping excitedly*

My first comment!!!

Thanks, Mel. I'm glad to be following through on my New Year's resolution from 2004. We'll see how long this lasts.

 
At 1:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A story of hijinks and a reference to The Sound of Music all in the first post -- you're off to a fantastic start!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home