It's all good.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

I wear my sunglasses in the early evening...

First of all, it's good to be still alive. With all the nasty precipitation overnight (that's right, it snowed. In May.), the roads were a little dicey this morning. I bravely set out for Up the River, got about a kilometer out of town, and turned back. Yay for common sense prevailing!

Secondly, I had my eyes tested after work this evening. The good news is that even though I was seeing flashes of light and floaters and my vision sometimes seem hazy, I don't have anything seriously wrong with my eyes. Because really, I dwell on that sometimes, and sometimes I convince myself that I have macular degeneration or my retinas are detaching. But, according to my optometrist, the only thing I have (besides my ever-present nearsightedness) is slightly worsening astigmatism.

During my exam, not only did I get to see photographs of part of my retinas, but the optometrist also did a thorough retinal exam. For this, I had to get my pupils dilated. I don't remember ever having this done before.

It was completely bizarre. He used drops for the dilation, and since it took a while to take effect, he put contacts on me and told me to go shopping for new frames. But the tricky part was that the dilation makes your close vision go all wonky. So there I was, trying on frames, able to see myself in the mirror plain as day, but unable to read the price written on the frames, no matter how hard I tried.

This is what I have to look forward to when I get old (um... older).

The best part was when he sent me home with disposable sunglasses to protect me from the sunlight. I'll never buy another pair of sunglasses again. They are so snazzy.




And here's what I looked like when I got home. Thank goodness I didn't get pulled over on the way.

2 Comments:

At 8:28 a.m., Blogger Catherine said...

The second last time I had my pupils dilated, I had to go to uni directly afterwards. I was talking to two of my profs, and then saw myself in a mirror. They must have thought I was cranked on e or something! In the afternoon! At school! Ugh. Embarassing.

 
At 11:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, you saved those, right? Cause I'm thinking a leisurely walk downtown in those is completely necessary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home