It's all good.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Motoneige.

So, it's been a while.

I went to Halifax last Thursday for a hearing aid conference on Friday. You may recall when I went to one of these things in Toronto last year, and I had my big "I need a fancy dress-up outfit" crisis. This one was a lot more low-key, and I got to catch up with some audies I rarely see. It's really fun to be in the same room with people who understand what I do.

After the conference on Friday, I went over to Rosey's apartment, intending to have another fantabulous weekend. Then I got a call from my mom, and then my dad. My brother was snowmobiling in Quebec, and he had an accident and broke his leg. Completely. His tibia and fibula were completely fractured. He had to have surgery and everything.

Needless to say, it kind of put a damper on my mood.

On Saturday, my dad asked me if I would go up to Quebec with him and my brother's wife. He was to be in charge of transporting my brother back to PEI, and I was to be the translator. You see, they speak a lot of French in Quebec. My brother does not.

So I drove back to Freddy Saturday evening, and then on Sunday I drove up to Miramichi to meet my dad and sister-in-law. It took us several hours to get to the hospital in Matane. Matane isn't very big, but they do have a Walmart and a Canadian Tire. Their hospital is very old, and I was so focused on my brother while we were there that I didn't even notice if they had an audiology department. He's going to be fine, but I was quite worried about him. Worrying is what Lynda's do best.

I was quite proud of myself, though, because this is one of the few times I've used my French in the real world (aside from my job) in a meaningful way. Six years of Late French Immersion did not go to waste!

On Monday, we bundled my brother into the van and headed back to NB and PEI. It was quite snowy and stormy when we left, but once we got inland the weather improved.

Not quite the weekend I planned. Hopefully this weekend will be a little less adventurous.

4 Comments:

At 11:34 p.m., Blogger LuLu said...

Ack! Crazy real-world experience Lynda! I am in no place to suggest you not worry (would that be the pot calling the kettle black?) but it's wonderful that you were able to help out with translation. The girl who helps people hear takes on another type of communication!

Oh, and speaking of French benefits...we're hiring in the Box Office and Darcy writes notes on the resumes, to see if they merit interviews, and so he will remember them. One girl that he is offering an interview to has the post-it note 'A cross between Lynda and Laura'.

I hope they hire her!

 
At 10:35 a.m., Blogger Rosey said...

Coming to the rescue is what Lynda's do best!

 
At 11:54 p.m., Blogger Lynda said...

A cross between Lynda and Laura? What does that make? Lynra? Lauda? I must meet this person!

 
At 11:41 p.m., Blogger LuLu said...

I think she's in English...Rosey might know her! How funny would that be, cross between Lynda and Laura, friend of Rosey- we must let Terry know about this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home