It's all good.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oscarama debrief

In what now qualifies as a longstanding tradition, mel and I had an online Oscar party on Sunday. This year was a good movie-going year for me, in that I actually saw some. So, during a brief, delusional period of overconfidence, I downloaded an official oscar.com ballot and made some predictions. More on my success rate later...

I skipped all the pre-show hoopla and only watched the actual telecast. I find it hard to watch awkward celebrity red-carpet interviews. It makes me feel embarassed for them sometimes.

What did I think of this year's four hour marathon, I mean, show? Well, it could be the sleep-deprivation talking, but I thought it was a wee bit long. Have some pity for us ASTers who work in the morning.

I thought Ellen was quite a benign host. She was cute and funny and adequate. No major complaints.

The dresses were lovely, for the most part. Only Anne Hathaway and Jessica Biel should fire their stylists.

The only major "upset" for me was when the song from "An Inconvenient Truth" won Best Original Song over three songs from "Dreamgirls".

Here are some snippets from the online Oscar festivities:

re: Jack Nicholson -
mel says:
ew is jack nicholson bald?
lynda says:
signs point to yes
later...
mel says:
yep, definitely bald and gross

re: Tom Cruise comes on stage to present award -
mel says:
this could be trouble
lynda says:
omg they let tom cruise out

re: the dancer people -
mel says:
I'm in love with the silhouette dancer people
lynda says:
me too! so cool
lynda says:
well, i'm not in love with them, but there are definite stirrings of admiration

re: Babel -
mel says:
booooring
lynda says:
uber booooooooring

re: this photo of Celine Dion's bottle green dress -
lynda says:
it's bottle green!
mel says:
it is
lynda says:
um, i sort of see her nipples i think

re: Kate Winslet -
lynda says:
ooh, pretty kate winslet
mel says:
ah, she's lovely
mel says:
why can't she just win an oscar?
lynda says:
because helen mirren and judy dench keep making movies

re: Martin Scorsese wins Best Director -
mel says:
YAY!!!!!
lynda says:
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

And my predictions? I got 13 right, which I thought was impressive, until I realized there were 24 categories, which means I got about 54%, which is slightly less impressive. Oh well, there's always next year!

3 Comments:

At 3:50 p.m., Blogger LuLu said...

I am in love with the silhouette dancers, it was time to bring interpretive dancing back to the Oscars. And I guess if you can't have Billy Crystal sing, Will, Jack, and John were a nice substitute.

 
At 12:47 a.m., Blogger mel said...

I said something along the same lines about that song. Ahhh, channelling Billy.

And also, I was totally thinking of posting excerpts from our conversation too, but I closed the window and lost it. Best. Tradition. Ever.

I love that it continuted dispite the fact that I was working Sunday night. Thank god for the internet.

 
At 8:08 a.m., Blogger Catherine said...

This sounds like a great, tradition, girlies!

Re: Kate Winslet. If you can, see the first episode of the first series of Extras. She is so funny in that episode, playing herself as a foul-mouthed nun, jockeying for an Oscar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home