It's all good.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Groceries for one

Monday is my grocery night. On Monday's at Sobeys, you'll find a plethora of people shopping for one. These single shoppers scoot purposefully through the store, seldom lingering in the aisles. Each person seems to be in his/her own universe, happy to ignore their surroundings. It makes for relatively quick and painless grocery shopping (unless there aren't any cucumbers. Don't get me started).

Well, Monday was New Brunswick Day (see yesterday's post), and the grocery stores were closed. So I had to go shopping tonight.

Apparently, Tuesday is Couple's Night. No one told me.

Everywhere I looked, there were couples. They were strolling leisurely down the aisles, carefully debating the merits of brand name vs. no-name granola bars. Inevitably, the guy would be dutifully carrying the full grocery basket while the girl would fetch the desired items. And let's not forget the lovey-dovey displays of public affection. Seriously. In the grocery store.

It's no fun being the Odd Girl Out at the grocery store. It makes me feel defensive about my lack of attachment. Being single is okay, I tell myself. I almost believe it.

Anyway, to distract myself, I tried to make Wacky Cake. It's basically chocolate cake made without eggs. One of my patients mentioned it last week, proclaiming it the best cake ever. I tried using a recipe I found online, but the results were less than satisfactory. In fact, it feels like there's a large lump of Wacky Cake at the bottom of my stomach right now, even though I chased it with lots of Pepsi. So if anyone has a real Wacky Cake recipe they'd like to share, please do.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 p.m., Blogger Becca said...

I've started using peapod (online grocery ordering and delivery) for this very reason. Also because I'm lazy, but I wonder what people think of me when I'm grocery shopping, if they're looking at me in the checkout aisle. Lean Cuisines, fruit, frozen veggies, a jug of wine, bottle of vodka, assorted mixers, peanut M&Ms...

"Ohhh, poor single girl. Perhaps if she laid of the M&Ms and wine she wouldn't be single anymore."

 
At 1:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if I find a home, we can go grocery shopping together!! Granted, we won't be a couple, but we could get stuff to split that one person couldn't eat on their own . . . Not very exciting, but what can you do?

 
At 10:22 p.m., Blogger Lynda said...

I'll have to check the grocery store "schedule" to see when it's "Friends Night". Wouldn't want to violate any more unwritten codes. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home